May 21, 2008

Does Anyone Else Watch Jon & Kate Plus Eight?

This is the new show that I’m a little bit obsessed with, and I desperately need someone to talk to about it and none of my real-life friends watch it. So I’m gonna try with you guys.

It’s a reality show on TLC, on Monday nights, but reruns show up all the time.

Here’s the basics: Jon & Kate got married. Jon & Kate had twin girls, Cara and Madelyn. And then they decided to try for just one more, and ended up with sextuplets, three girls and three boys. So now Jon & Kate have eight children. The twin girls are seven years old and the babies are 3 1/2. And the show is about their life.

At first I started watching it because I was like “Awww, babies! Babies are cute!” And the babies are cute, and it’s fascinating to watch how intelligent and aware and communicative children are at just 3 years old, but what got me hooked is the relationship between Kate and Jon.

I mean, is it just me, or does Jon absolutely hate Kate? I mean, Kate, while doing her very best to be a good mother, is totally neurotic and overbearing and controlling and just plain old mean to Jon. She corrects his grammar constantly, tells him how stupid and inconsiderate he is, and at one point even yells at him for breathing too loud. And Jon kind of takes it in stride because he loves his kids, but I think somewhere deep down he really just wants to murder Kate and dump her body in a river, and frankly I don’t blame him. But it’s hilarious to watch.

Is anyone else picking this up, or is this just how all married couples with children interact? If so, maybe marriage and children are overrated …

0 comments: